Tokyo Local Time:

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

17.3.2009 :: Kyoto :: Day 3




Today I returned to Kyoto and I was successful at navigating the rail system so I was off to see the sights. Tonight there was a change in plans, Ryoko doesn't have to go to Tokyo, instead she might go this weekend for her work. So I will be returning to Nagoya instead of going to a ryoken (a traditional Japanese inn) for the night.

I only regret that I still did not make it to the downtown market. I really wanted to see that while I was here but there is a big fish market in Tokyo that might be better anyway (but I think it is just a fish market).


I think I have lost about 5+ pounds since I got here because my pants are way too big!


I don't think I have mentioned my thoughts on Japan yet, mostly because I wanted to wait a few days to get a better impression of the country. My verdict so far? I love it. I love the food, the people, the bullet train, the cities...just everything about it. There is a language barrier there but that will fall with time.



Mt. Inariyama Shrine:


This was the only real sight seeing I did today because it took me so long to go through it. I went to the Mt. Inariyama shrine and it took me forever to go through! I thought it would be a simple little self guided walk though tour...nope! I got lost on the paths because most of them had signs that were washed out and unreadable once you started up the mountain. Regardless, it was a very cool place, except some parts were creepy with cawing crows and all the family shrines and things. I could sware there were parts that smelled of death, similar to that smell at a funeral...only stronger. I went up and down so many different paths that my legs were rubber by the time I was done. Maybe it was from my lack of food the past few days. Still very cool though.


The cars:

I spotted a Mitsubishi Galant VR-4


The people:

I noticed today that the spoken Japanese language is very melodic, that is, it almost sounds like music at times; especially when spoken by a woman.

Everyone is very kind and polite. Men, women, young, old and everyone in between. I try to be as curtious as possible but still sometimes feel like a big, loud, rude American :D
Oh, some of them smoke like chimneys, and they are allowed to do it in a lot of places, unlike america where it seems to be being banned just about everywhere. It's annoying but tolerable. Also, a lot of the business guys wear trench coats, so it looks like an FBI convention everywhere you go. :)

The Food:

While I was at Kyoto station I had to pick up a few more of those bean filled buns. They make a great quick breakfast with a cup of coffee.


For lunch I went to one of those carousel sushi places. The sushi was good but not superb...but it was less expensive than back home (137¥ per plate. Hehehe, I ate 8 plates; OINK! :D

I ended the day with none other than a Starbucks cappuccino and watching the people and cars pass by for a good while. Ahh, it is so hard to get a good cup of coffee here. That's something I will definitely have to have import from home or kick the habit.

Tonight I volunteered to make my spicy thai chicken, assuming I can find all the ingredients. Believe it or not, sireiacha sauce is hard to find here. You have to go to an 'imported' food shop to get it. I'll also make some udon soba (a Japanese noodle) soup.

For dinner I cooked, but it was only ok. I did however have my forst real shopping in a Japanese grocery store. Heheh, it was like the asian grocers back home only a lot bigger and with better stuff. I made spicy pork and udon soupe. The soupe was great!


Happy Birthday Troy!!!

Be sure to check out my other travel blog for more article son Japan and Kyoto:
http://www.blueearthjourneys.com/2009/10/14/mt-inariyama-shrine-japan-kyoto-temple/

No comments:

Post a Comment